Interesting Books to Add to Your Reading List
Reading Books Can Change Your Life
“With each passing year, our lives are affected by fate or happenstance, and our ambitions and goals change accordingly. What you want now is not necessarily what you’re going to want or need in years to come. So your best hedge against an uncertain future is knowledge. Always read with the thought that what you learn today could change your life tomorrow.” – Barbara
“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside a dog, it’s too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx (1890–1977)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Big Band/Jazz Books in Harry Brabec’s Collection. With great quotes from the musicians featured in them. (Goodman, Bix, Hamp, Armstrong, Ellington, Basie, Krupa, and others.)
• The Book that Changed the Direction of my Writing Life. An example of how taking just one step in a new direction can be life-changing.
“When you give someone a book, you don't give him just paper, ink, and glue. You give him the possibility of a whole new life.” – Christopher Morley, 1890‑1957, Novelist, Journalist, and Poet
• The Changing World of Book Publishing. Past and present perspective for today’s book lovers and self-publishers.
• The Drummer Drives! Everybody Else Rides. Barbara’s autobiographical memoir about her life with an unusual drummer named Harry.
• Harry Brabec’s Lifelong Love Affair with Books. A story of interest to bibliophiles, book collectors, and Amazon Marketplace sellers.
• Marcella’s Secret Dreams and Stories: A Mother’s Legacy. A memoir and biography written by Barbara and posthumously co-authored by her mother, Marcella Schaumburg.
• Musicians Who Wrote Memoirs [PDF]. Photos and info about musical memoirs in Harry Brabec’s collection, signed by musicians he knew.
• Rethinking Your Life and Career in an Exciting New Way. Barbara revisits a book she first read and reviewed in the late eighties, one that could prompt today's readers to seriously rethink their whole life and career/job/business ambitions.
“Some reading the above article will be thankful they followed the beat of a different drummer while others may want to take a sharper look at where they’re going in life and whether they are truly on the path they want to be on.” – Barbara
• Selling Books and CDs on Amazon Marketplace. Tips and perspective from seasoned marketplace seller Barbara Brabec.
• Some Books Need to be Read Twice. The story of Cold River, is a book of interest to nature lovers, campers, survivalists, and cooks. Because we change as we age, we see the world differently with each passing year and often need a second go-round with a book or movie to notice things we couldn’t relate to the first time.
“By reading more, listening closer, and paying keen attention to what’s going on around you, you will methodically pack your brain with the kind of stimulus that could lead to a ‘brilliant brainstorm’ when you least expect it.” – Barbara
Click here for a list of articles on
writing or self-publishing a book.
All Articles T/C